Here some stuff about the books I read. For now I'm mostly using the bits I write for my Dutch online bookgroup so the text is usually mostly in Dutch but the quotes from English books are in the original.

woensdag 29 juli 2009

Siri Hustvedt - The Blindfold

> ik ga vanavond
> in bad met Siri Hustvedt, sorted!)

En ik heb me geen second verveeld met The Blindfold. Had het boek
voor meer dan de helft uit voordat ik uit bad kwam. Ik houd gewoon
van haar schrijfstyle. Het is makkelijk te lezen zonder oppervlakkig
te zijn. Ze neemt de lezer snel mee in haar wereld. Haar openingszin
al:
---
Sometimes even now I think I see him in the street or standing in a
window or bent over a book in a coffee shop. And in that instant,
before I understand that it's someone else, my lungs tighten and I
lose my breath.
---
Dan wil je toch gelijk verder lezen om te weten wie hij is en waarom
zij hem nog overal ziet?
Ik ben niet zo'n verteller van 'waar het boek over gaat' maar wie het
wilt weten kan dat lezen hier
Hier vertelt iemand in het kort hoe het boek in elkaar zit. Hij
schrijft ook aan het einde:
--
This is a dark and disturbing novel, a challenge to our concepts of
the relationship between reality and fiction, and a penetrating
presentation of a deeply troubled mind. The book kept me riveted in
attention, an uncomfortable nervous tension filling me in much of what
I read. It isn't a "nice" book in any way, but it is well-constructed,
and magnificently written, a door to a troubled mind and reality. I'm
not sure what it all means, and not sure that the author actually
presents a message. Rather, I feel I was meant to simply FEEL the
reality of Iris's hard existence.
--
Ik ben blij dat hij schrijft dat 'ik weet niet zeker wat het allemaal
betekent' want dat gevoel had ik ook aan het einde en vermoedde zelfs
dat ik 'iets' gemist had. Maar nee, ik geloof inderdaad dat het
gewoon de bedoeling is dat de lezer 'voelt' hoe het was om Iris te
zijn in deze moeilijke tijd van haar leven.
Zeker een aanrader. Ideale leesvoer voor een treinreis bijvoorbeeld.
Je hebt het best snel uit (220 pagina's) en het is gewoon zo'n prettig
gevoel om je over te leveren aan iemand die Echt Heel Goed kan
schrijven!
--
(Iris heeft een opdracht om een beschrijving te geven van een object.
Ze moet dit opnemen, fluisterend. Waarom fluisterend?):
The whisper is essential, because the full human voice is too
idiosyncratic, too marked with its own history. I'm looking for
anonymity so the purity of the object won't be blocked from coming
through, from displaying itself in its nakedness. A whisper has no
character.
(Wedden dat iedereen nu dit fluisterend leest om te kijken of het waar
is... ;-)
--
All the photographs I looked at evoked in me a feeling of mild
distress. There was nothing lurid about them, nothing gruesome, and
yet the juxtaposition of images was suggestive of a world askew.
--
That night as I lay in bed, I thought of several things I could have
said and mourned the fact that my wit usually bloomed late, peaking
when it no longer mattered, during the solitary hours close to
midnight.
--
I ran home and through 4 new glasses against the wall. 12 dollars
plus tax into the garbage.
(Bizar berekend vond ik... wie denkt nou echt 'plus tax'? We kopen
toch alles met de belasting al toegevoegd? Zijn de prijzen in US
winkels aangegeven zonder BTW? Nee toch?)
--
the raw voiceless place that exists beyond the muttering dreams of
everyday life, where you cannot ask to go but must be taken.
--
The course of gossip is invisible. One thing becomes another, like the weather.
--
He was too old to be a student, too flashy for a librarian. I felt no
librarian in the history of the world had worn sunglasses indoors.
--
It's a matter of appearances, but surfaces are underestimated.
--
They were all in search of an object, and some of them believed I was
it.[...] he probably loved someone else, a person who wasn't me.
--
in truth, I've always been afraid of drugs. The jolts and tingles
that might be gained from these substances don't attract me. My
interest has always been in maintaining balance, not tipping it.
Untampered with, my system was already difficult, queasy, on the edge.
It didn't crave interference.
++++++++

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Blogarchief

Volgers